by Catherine Robinson, Clinical Coordinator, Language Express PSL
Don’t Wait and See!
It is very important that your child be able to speak clearly and ask questions, listen and follow instructions, and play appropriately with other children. 10-12% of preschool children have speech and language difficulties that will make it hard for them to succeed in school and in life.
Take a moment to think about your child’s speech and language skills:
Can your 4 year old:
· Follow instructions with three or more steps? e.g. “First get your crayons and paper, then draw a picture and then give it to Grandma.”?
· Use adult-type grammar?
· Tell stories with a clear beginning, middle and end?
· Talk to try to solve problems with adults and other children?
· Be understood by strangers almost all of the time?
· Make up simple rhymes e.g. Cat – Bat?
· Match some letters with their sounds e.g. letter T says “tuh”?
· Start a conversation and keep it going on the same topic for at least three turns?
DON’T WAIT AND SEE…..
If you are concerned about your child’s speech and language skills or are interested in how your child is doing, call the Language Express Preschool Speech System at 1-888-503-8885. A speech-language assessment can identify your child’s strengths and needs and can help you prepare your child for school. For more information, check out our website: http://www.language-express.ca
Junior Kindergarten-aged children born in 2009 must be referred before January 31, 2014 to receive an assessment and recommendations. After January 31st, referrals will only be accepted for children born in 2010 or later.
For more information, check out our website: http://www.language-express.ca