submitted by Alan Fitzhugh, July 24, 2014
On Wednesday July 23, 2014 St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church 175 Stone St. South in Gananoque welcomed its new minister, the Reverend David H. Berkers. Rev. Berkers is the 14th minister in the 177 years of worship at St. Andrew’s.
While attending a youth convention at Queen’s University in 1980 David Berkers made a personal commitment to serve God, and felt his initial call to the ministry. Thus, his post-secondary education took place at Pentecostal Bible College in Peterborough and featured a third year at a Bible College in Nairobi Kenya, earning a bachelor of Theology degree.
David moved to Belleville On for employment at a large retail establishment and took an active part in cell-based worship at a local Pentecostal church. After three years the church changed it’s focus and restructured the result of which was David’s association with St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Belleville. Eventually David became a member and ultimately a ruling elder.
With the encouragement of his wife Ann, David sought to build on his theological education and inquired about ministry within the Presbyterian Church in Canada. What followed was further study at Queens University and Knox College (University of Toronto) with David gaining his Master of Divinity degree. During these years, exposure and contact with professors, fellow students, placements – particularly in youth work and pastoral care with seniors.
David feels that in St. Andrew’s Gananoque he has found a church home to fulfil his call to ministry. As a well-rounded individual, David enjoys golfing, fishing, gardening, reading, camping and spending quality time with family and friends. David and Ann live in Belleville with their chocolate Lab, Coco.
About St. Andrew’s
Gananoque’s Presbyterians started organized worship in 1837 in small wood frame buildings located in the western part of the town and latterly at the corner of Stone & Pine streets. Prior to 1837 the congregation was served by a circuit minister from Brockville. As the congregation grew and the need for a larger building became more urgent, land was donated for a new church. Construction of a contemporary style building was commenced in 1851 with completion in 1855. Throughout the following years additions were completed and the interior was renovated. In 2012 we celebrated our 175th anniversary.